McAllister Lane Buckler

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Elizabeth Parham Buckler

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 4, 2008

Little Kisses From God

I begin most mornings tired these days after being up and down all night, feeding a newborn. My reaction? I soak up those moments at 2:00 and 4:00am, because they are fleeting and will not last forever ~ and they are some of the few quiet moments I am able to spend with my baby. I laugh and kiss her all over her precious little face....

I began this morning being thrown-up on by Elizabeth. My reaction? I laughed as I kissed her chubby little cheeks. Next on the agenda? To help Alli wipe herself after she had pottied a #2. My reaction? Again, to kiss my precious child and squeeze her buns as she ran out of the bathroom to go drink some milk and play. Since that time this morning, there have been sweet moments ~ gurgly smiles from my infant, a spontaneous "I love you, Mommy" from my 2 year old, watching my girls snuggle on the floor ~ and there have been more yuck moments, as well ~ Alli telling me "It isn't my turn to obey you, it is your turn to obey me!", or getting tired near naptime and throwing goldfish all over the floor out of frustration, and Elizabeth being fussy as she tries to soothe herself to sleep, or having a big blowout of a poopie diaper. My reaction to each: laughter (well, eventually) and a kiss.

Oh, don't get me wrong: I have my frustrated moments, as well. And although one moment I may feel that God has granted me incredible patience, the next I feel that I didn't get my fair share, as I silently count to ten in my head.

It was after the most recent blowout poopie diaper that warrented yet another clothes change today that I got this little "Kiss from God," as our Bible Study leader would call it. I began to think about my children and everyone else in my life that I love so much. Think about it: When you love someone ~ your children, spouse, siblings, parents, friends ~ you love all of them, the good and the bad ~ even the "dirty diapers" parts of them. Could you truly love them if you didn't know about their "dirty diapers?" Or could you only "like" them if you only know the sweet, happy parts of them? If you ask me, I love the ones I love even more because I know about their dirty diapers.

My little kiss from God is this: That is why God loves us and how He feels about us! Oh, I have "known" this for a while, I suppose ~ or at least, I have been told this and thought I knew it. But for whatever reason, it really hit me a few minutes ago as I changed Boots yet again today, as she cooed and smiled up at me. Maybe it especially jumped out at me because that is one of the things we have discussed in my weekly Bible Study. We are doing "Restore My Heart," and Judy (our leader) stresses to us that we are worthy of God's love, and that He loves us because He knows the bad and the good in each of us. Afterall, is it truly "love" if you don't know both good and bad? I don't think so..... And I am comforted by that, because I know that God knows the good and the bad in me and loves me anyway ~ and that is true love.




4 comments:

ml said...

Britt,
Your babies are so precious! I have really enjoyed getting to know your mom and Keith and I hope to meet you soon as well! Thanks for reading and linking us to your blog. I will check yours often too!

Meredith Latimer

Brandi Raye Turner said...

How right you are. In the midst of all the challenges I face in my life, there are so many things that are just perfect, the kids being the first on that list. Mortherhood is such a blessing! There's nothing better than the unsolicited "I love you Mommy!' Or, in my case, "I love you Brannow!" I keep thinking Cruz is going to stop calling me Brannow any day now, but the phase continues...

I almost forgot- I want to start signing with the kids, but I can't do a class right now. Can you recommend a video for me? Also, call me or email me when you can. I got a new phone and it's not reading the phone numbers on my SIM card. I feel lost without my numbers...

Anonymous said...

Hi Britt, I wanted to tell you that I read your blog and you remind me to be a better person. You reminded me that my kids are only little for a short time. I look at Matthew and realize he is a little boy, not a baby and Liam is already changed so much in his short 3 months. Thank you for reminding me that even though this is a hard, tiring time, that I am so truly blessed and I need to always revel in my blessings and not get bogged down with the times that are difficult.
So today when we were leaving the park and couldn't get Matthew off the swing without him kicking and screaming, I watched Chris hold him up at arms length avoiding the flailing arms and legs and smiled because even that is a priceless memory.
I miss you so much and am so glad you are happy. Since you have 2 girls and I have 2 boys, we should intend them for marriage :)
I am in process of updating my blog. I have 3 written and am waiting for Chris to upload pictures.
How do you get your pictures in all those different arrangements and how do you download a ticker. I tried and it didn't work.
I'm Max A with blogs.
Can we try to plan a get together? I know it will be hard, but can we try. I really would love to see you.
Love ya,
Keleigh

Anonymous said...

I just loved reading your blog ... your thoughts about how you are trying to enjoy ALL parts of motherhood, and your analogy using the poopie diaper was written so beautifully. I am so proud of you.....this made me cry, mostly out of happiness that you are so grounded in your love for your family and your faith.
Your daddy would have absolutely been so thrilled to read this....as would Meme and Paps.
Thank you for this beautiful gift.
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH,
Mom