McAllister Lane Buckler

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Elizabeth Parham Buckler

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Thankful Thirds ~ December

There are so many things for which to be thankful, especially as we wind up this year of 2009.

I am thankful for the little, every day things.... double buggies at grocery stores, free cookies at Publix to entertain the girls (at least for the first 2 aisles), my electric broom, the seat warmers in the Maxima.... You know, those little things that make every day life a little more comfortable or enjoyable, or easy.

I am thankful for the big things.... My wonderful husband who I absolutely adore; my two precious little girls. Our health, safety, wellbeing, and the roof over our heads. Our families who are so supportive. Gigi and Dede, who are willing to hop in the car and drive to Augusta for a couple of hours or a day ~ for a birthday party or so that Brad and I can drive to Savannah for the day for meetings about the house. The fact that our "other house" in National Hills sold, the day before Thanksgiving ~ and our agent, Beth Jones, who made it happen.

I am thankful for the sentimental things, especially as our time here in Augusta is getting shorter.... Alli Lane's school, EDS, and the "warm fuzzies" I get whenever I think about the education she is receiving there, as well as the love and support of the entire school. Our church, First Baptist of Augusta, where AL went to MDO and Boots still attends, and we love our Sunday School class, our pastor, and all of the many family events and love we feel when we walk through the doors.

I am thankful for blessings in disguise, as regular readers of this blog will attest (I mention it every couple of months), and for the miracles that happen to us every day. People love to say that God doesn't work miracles anymore ~ that miracles are something of the past, of the Old Testament. I adamently disagree! God works miracles every day, whether we recognize them as such, or not. I have been a part of His miracles more times than I can count ~ meeting my husband and having our two precious girls are just the beginning of a long list. Just the other day, He worked a miracle that saved my life. I was driving down Walton Way with Boots, and a car bolted across the lane of oncoming traffic in front of me, never once having looked my way or seeing me. She was so close, I couldn't see her tail lights. As those of you who are familiar with Walton Way know, it is so narrow that if something like this happens, there is nowhere for you to go. All at once, I had many thoughts, in a matter of a couple of seconds. I had do doubt that "this is it," that my life was over. I wordlessly prayed for the protection of my precious baby in the backseat, that she would be okay and that someone would comfort her until help came. I thought of Brad and Alli Lane, and I thought of our families. I thought of seeing my Daddy, of him welcoming me. I know how dramatic this sounds, believe me. All I can say, is that it is the closest I have come as an adult to the end of my life. Then, before I even knew what had happened, the other car pulled into the middle turn lane, and it was over. I sobbed all day that day, realizing how close I had come, and I am still shaken up by it. Thank you, God! For saving my Boots and me, and all of the other people on WW that day, because this would have been a devastating accident to many people.

Most importantly, I am thankful for my Savior. For God, who makes all things possible. For all of the blessings he has bestowed upon us.


And Mary said: My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for the Mighty One has done great things for me ~ Holy is His name.
~ Luke 1:46-47, 49

1 comment:

Brandi Raye Turner said...

I'm always saddened when people can't see all the blessings in their lives. The older I get, the more I'm thankful for even the smallest things. I'm so glad you weren't in an accident! We still need you here. xoxo